Friday, March 19, 2010

Keeping it Creative: My Favorite Recipes

 I keep my health and nutrition journey exciting by trying new things.  I have learned new exorcises and ways to keep my body moving and now I am learning new recipes to keep my taste buds interested.  The best part about incorporating new and tasty recipes into my lifestyle is I am able to convince my husband to eat better as well which means I don't have to go on this journey alone.  Below, I provided some of the new recipes I have tried and like.


 

 Yogurt and Cereal

 

I love yogurt and cereal.  This is one of my favorite quick breakfasts packed with lots of protein.  

Ingredients

  • Greek Yogurt

  • Fresh Strawberries

  • Fresh Blue Berries

  • Your choice of high fiber cereal (this one is from Trader Joe's)

  • Almonds

  • Dried Cranberries (or any other fruit)

Simple Salad Dressing 

Ingredients

  • 1 whole clove garlic, peeled
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

    Smash the garlic clove with the back of a knife. Add garlic to the other ingredients in a jar or other airtight container. Cover, shake well and serve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

    Nutrition analysis per serving:

    Calories: 80
    Total fat: 9g
    Saturated fat: 1g
    Carbohydrate: 1g
    Protein: 0g
    Sodium: 25mg

    To find this and other healthy, fun recipes visit the

    Foodnetwork

     

     

    Tortilla Soup  

    Serves 4
    Calories per serving of soup: 165
    Calories per serving of garnishes: 95

    1 pound chicken tenders, cut into strips
    1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoons ancho chile powder, or your favorite chile powder
     

    To garnish:
    1 jalapeño chile, cut into rings
    12 baked tortilla chips
    1/2 cup shredded light Monterey Jack cheese
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    1 lime, cut in wedges

     1. In a large pot, bring chicken, broth, tomatoes and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.

    2. Add the salt and chile powder, and taste, adding more chile powder if desired. Divide soup among serving bowls, and top with garnishes.
     

    Cook Yourself Thin 

     

     



     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment